From the beginning: How The Noticed Network began

"Wouldn't it be great if women could get noticed just for being themselves. Noticed for who they are not what they do necessarily, but who they really are."
This was the very first thought I had about what has become the simple and powerful initiative of The Noticed Network. This was my thought as I was putting my makeup on one Sunday morning in late March 2011.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Adventure Outside Of My Immediate Circle

I've Noticed that noticing the women outside of my immediate circle of friends and family brings with it a sense of adventure, and a better understanding of just how similar we as women really are.  When I notice women who are "like me" certain assumptions are made.  I know that the recipient will respond within the social norms that I am comfortable with.  Stepping outside of my box to Notice a woman who seems quite different from me brings with it a challenge that I am becoming more and more intrigued with.  It is my nature to try to connect with those around me.  I am a true extrovert, so the more people I can really connect with in a day the better.  What I am realizing about human connection is that it can be real and at the same time unfamiliar.  Typically, when we think about connecting with the people in our lives we consider those closest to us.  We know what these relationships feel like, we know what to expect.  We can read into their facial expressions and body language much easier because it is similar to our own.  When we step outside of the box to connect with those different than ourselves we may need to go about it a little differently.   When I Notice a women who seems so different than myself, I must reach her where she's at.  In stepping out of my box I am stepping out of myself... stepping into her shoes for a moment, so that I can speak with her in a way that she can understand.  And while I'm in her shoes I realize how much we are alike.  We are alike because we are humans, we are women, we want to be seen and heard and appreciated just for being ourselves.  Noticing is all about seeing the goodness in another and letting her know you Noticed.  Noticing is a gift, and like all gifts it needs not only to be given but to be received. 

Women are always asking me how to Notice the women in their lives, and I'm formulating a new approach.  First, decide who you want to Notice and what you want to Notice about her.  Then secondly, think about how she would best receive the gift.  Do that.   It is my dream that every woman in the world will be Noticed.  Adventure awaits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment